Re: Upcoming Qt switch to OpenGL ES on arm64

> On Sat, 24 Nov 2018, bret curtis wrote:
> > This is a very wrong assumption, the OpenGL on a RPi (all of them) is
> > hardware accelerated via the VC4 mesa driver by Eric Anholt which is
> > shipped, by default, on by Raspbian. It supports up to OpenGL 2.1 and
> > if you plan on having hardware accelerated X11 or Wayland, you need
> > the VC4 driver. You'll need "Desktop" OpenGL otherwise nothing will
> > work on a RPi system, which as of 2015 has over 5 million units
> > shipped. This is not an insignificant user base.
>
> Can you back up this claim with some external documentation?
> Or at least pointer the appropriate part of the code?
>
> https://github.com/anholt/mesa/wiki/VC4-OpenGL-support says that the
> VC4 hardware is a GLES 2.0 renderer and it would seem strange that
> the mesa driver for it would not support OpenGL ES.

If your hardware supports GLESv2 then by definition your hardware also
supports at least OpenGL 2.1 so please correct me if I'm wrong but all
open-source mesa drivers support both OpenGL and GLES to some degree
and only proprietary drivers support only GLES. If you start only
shipping packages with only GLES support then you're going to begin
dropping packages that only support Desktop GL but would otherwise
work perfectly fine on that architecture. The switch to GLES has the
only benefit of supporting proprietary firmware/software which isn't
exactly DFSG friendly.

The VC4 is not an GLES exclusive renderer, it supports OpenGL up to
2.1 and GLES 2.  That information comes from same link I have posted
earlier in this thread that you have just posted now. What I'm saying
is that without the VC4 mesa driver then you're stuck with llvmpipe
making the RPi not very useful as a Desktop and then to only ship
software with GLES only support then excludes other software that
would otherwise work with VC4.

I'm am admittedly biased because I'm also an upstream developer of
such an application (OpenMW) that only works with Desktop GL, that
being said, it is by far not the only one. There are others like
openjk and opentesarena just off the top of my head. From our point of
view, GLES isn't an option. For GLES only devices, we use a shim that
does its best to translate GL2 calls to their equivalent in GLESv2,
but that is really dodgy. From our point of view, the next step is
Vulkan so we only want to target "Desktop" OpenGL and Vulkan for
maximum coverage because it is a waste of time to _also_ support GLES
when Vulkan can be used for both Desktop and Mobile.

Cheers,
Bret