Re: armel/marvell kernel size

On Thu, 2018-03-22 at 00:12 -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
[...]
> If nobody is working on getting a new kernel working on armel, I would
> like to (at least, unsuccessfully) try to get it to compile.
>
> At worst, I believe, I can gain some knowledge and compare what I get from
> this armel kernel with a Kurobox HD (powerpc-based; see some notes at [0])...
>
> [0]: http://cynic.cc/blog/posts/simple-annotations-on-compiling-a-linux-kernel-for-an-embedded-platform/
>
> For this task, I have some questions:
>
> 1 - To get up to speed, is there any recommended way of cross-compiling
>     the kernels, before I try it on bare-metal? When I compiled my own
>     kernels, I used to use a cross-compiler that I compiled myself and it
>     was using a very non-methodological way...

Cross-compiling works well.  For the Debian package, use:

    dpkg-buildpackage -aarmel -Pcross,pkg.linux.notools

If you want to work with the upstream source, use:

    make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi-

[...]
> 3 - Besides the points listed above, what else can usually be disabled,
>     if they don't pertain/make sense in a system like a small armel box?

If I knew that I'd have already done it (or suggested it).

> 4 - What is the preferred tree to be used for Debian's kernel
>     development? I am used to compile kernels from Linus's git tree with no
>     patches, but I know that Debian carries a sizable amount of patches...

Clone the kernel team's git repository and use whatever upstream
version we are using.

> I may have some free time after Easter to have some trial and errors, but it
> may even be the case that some free time becomes available before that...
>
> > We would like to ideally upload a 4.15.x based version to unstable
> > (currently imported 4.15.4).
>
> I now see that there were some 4.16rc's uploaded to the archive... I guess
> that this is tied with my 4th point above, right?

You can work on either the sid branch (currently 4.15.y) or master
(4.16-rcN, for experimental).  But in a few weeks 4.16 will be ready
for unstable and it will probably result in further code growth, so you
might as well work on master.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
This sentence contradicts itself - no actually it doesn't.