Re: Using a custom device tree file

On 2018-02-18, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 17 February 2018 19:22:06 Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> Thank you very very much, this is probably the post, a howto, that I've
> been looking for, for months.

Glad it was helpful.

> Now my problem is that the db for flash-kernel is 2 or 3 years out of
> date and contains no mention of either the pi-3b,

Please report bugs against flash-kernel, but please first check against
current versions of flash-kernel. There's support for raspberry pi 2b
and and 3b in the current version of flash-kernel.

You can sometimes grab the relevent stanzas from newer versions and use
them on the old version of flash-kernel by adding them to
/etc/flash-kernel/db:

  Machine: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B
  Kernel-Flavors: arm64 armmp armmp-lpae
  DTB-Id: bcm2837-rpi-3-b.dtb
  U-Boot-Script-Name: bootscr.uboot-generic
  Required-Packages: u-boot-tools
  Boot-Script-Path: /boot/boot.scr

I am using the pi 2b with the version of linux and flash-kernel from
Debian stretch. Raspbian's kernel likely has the legacy device-tree
names and you might have to adjust flash-kernel configuration for
that. Raspbian also doesn't typically use u-boot for a bootloader, and
flash-kernel doesn't do anything to configure booting from the default
boot firmware.

> nor the pine offering called the rock64.

There isn't support for the rock64 in mainline u-boot, and I'm not sure
how good the linux kernel support is. So I'm not sure it makes sense to
add a flash-kernel entry for it until it's better supported in mainline
linux and u-boot; Debian doesn't usually add support that isn't present
in mainline, as long-term maintenance impractical.

I've got one, so I'll keep an eye on it and try to enable support in
Debian as it becomes available.

> And quite likely, u-boot-tools is also dated.

I'm not sure what you're referring to here, but there's u-boot 2018.01
in experimental, and 2017.11 in sid/buster. There's a 2018.03-rc1 that I
haven't yet uploaded.  Stretch has the most recent u-boot version at the
time of stretch freeze, which was in late 2016, so it only has
2016.11. But that's how stable releases work; major new versions of
software does not typically get added to a stable release.

> Where can I report that?

In Debian, it's often good to report a bug through the Debian Bug
Tracking System:

  https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

live well,
  vagrant