Re: screenblanker vs login

On 13/02/18 18:00, Alan Corey wrote:
No, I think it's at a lower level than X.  See if just a plain text
screen blanks.  I tracked it down once under OpenBSD and turned it off
but they have different names for things and that was 10 years or so
ago.

Apologies if I'm grabbing the wrong end of the stick etc. I'm currently wrestling with this using an ASUS Tinkerboard (RK3288 -based) running TinkerOS/Linaro and I think there are several different problems:

a) Disabling the GUI (window manager, desktop environment etc.) screen saver/blanker.

b) Telling the X11 server not to try to shut the screen down. That might require something like xserver-command=X -s 0 dpms (note: no leading dash) in lightdm.conf (or the equivalent for other display managers). If you don't do that, remote X11 (possibly also VNC) logins go irrecoverably black after ten minutes (that one thanks to a reminder in the Raspberry Pi foramina).

c) On the main text console (or possibly in a startup script): setterm -blank 0 (Found on a Slackware system I set up 15 years ago).

d) Plus at least one other that I've not tracked down yet :-/

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk