Re: debian installer on arm64

On Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 08:16:07PM +0100, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:
>Hi Steve,
>
>On Sat, 13 Jan 2018, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 07:59:14PM +0100, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:
>> > am I right that this U-Boot stumbles over partition id 0xef of the second
>> > partition of the installer iso?
>>
>> ?? Not sure what you mean...
>
>the iso images of the netinst arm64 debian installer have two partitions, one
>of type 83 (= Linux) and one of type ef (= EFI (FAT-12/16/32)). The U-Boot in
>the Macchiatobin SPI flash can access files on partitions of type 83 and 6
>with ext4load and fatload. So I assume that it just stumbles over the efi
>partition due to a simple id mismatch. If this is the case one could directly
>start from the usb debian installer without first having to boot the EDK2
>image from the sd card.
>Does that make sense to you?

Ah, I see. I didn't realise that the included U-Boot was so
... awkward. I know people are working on some limited UEFI support in
U-Boot, which (eventually!) might mean this kind of thing will get
much easier. I just went straight for the EDK2 image for my machine.

>> Sorry, no. How old/used is the USB drive?
>
>Oh, this USB stick is rather old. A different one doesn't boot at all, but an
>USB3 SD card reader seems to work now.

Yay!

"Managing a volunteer open source project is a lot like herding
 kittens, except the kittens randomly appear and disappear because they
 have day jobs." -- Matt Mackall