Re: Upcoming Qt switch to OpenGL ES on arm64

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 11:00:52PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> $ grep-dctrl -n -sSource:Package -FDepends \
>         -e 'libqt5(gui|3drenderer|quick|quickparticles|quickwidgets|multimediawidgets)5[[:space:]]*(\(>= 5\.[0-9.]*\))(?|$),' \
>         /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_xenial_*binary-amd64_Packages | sort -u
> maliit-plugins
> ovito
> pyqt5
> qml-box2d
> qt3d-opensource-src
> qtbase-opensource-src
> qtdeclarative-opensource-src
> qtubuntu-cameraplugin-fake
> stellarium
> wallch
> $
>
> Every single other binary package that depends on libqt5gui5 (etc) in Ubuntu
> 16.04 has an ORed dependency on libqt5gui5 | libqt5gui5-gles.

Ah, this is interesting.

The amount of packages will probably be larger in the current sid,
but it should not be more than 20 packages.

Plus there are packages which are using QT_OPENGL_ES macro for conditional
compilation (as I mentioned in my previous mail), but there are also not many
of them:

gammaray
goldendict
gst-plugins-good1.0
kamoso
krita
leocad
openclonk
phonon-backend-gstreamer
qtav
qt-gstreamer
qtwebkit-opensource-src
qtwayland-opensource-src
qtcharts-opensource-src

> So perhaps someone in this thread is willing to put in this effort to
> maintain 6 source packages, in order to avoid having to make a choice
> between GL and GLES on arm64.

I wonder if these can be new binaries in existing source packages, instead
of separate source packages. Otherwise we will have too much code duplication,
and also wasted time: for example, in qtbase-opensource-src, only src/gui
needs to be built twice, and there is no need to built other submodules twice.

We already have an example of double build inside the same source: on i386,
src/corelib is built twice, with and without sse2 support.

In any case, this task looks manageable. Maybe if I have time someday I will
take care of it, but in the meantime volunteers are welcome.

--
Dmitry Shachnev