Re: Upcoming Qt switch to OpenGL ES on arm64

On Monday 26 November 2018 09:40:34 Alan Corey wrote:

> Try glxgears and es2gears on few different platforms.  On a Pi 3b
> glxgears runs at about 45 FPS, es2gears slightly lower.  On my Rock64
> it's in the hundreds of FPS but that's Mali.  Look at omxplayer, full
> screen HD video while the CPU idles (on a Pi).  The GPU is more
> capable than the CPU.  You can do software-emulated OpenGL on
> anything, the question is how efficient it is.

glxgears is all I have, on both an rpi3b and a rock64

But lets be realistic, what good is either if not pulled out to full
screen?,

Here, on the rpi3b its less than 1 FPS! This is because the realtime
kernal is pinned to keep apt from replacing it with something that
linuxcnc won't run on. With the actual size of lcnc's gui being about
1/2 screen I get about 4 FPS for a refresh rate on a 1920 by 12xx
monitor. But because the backplot is so slow anything that smells like a
collision with a fixture is done really slow, else the collision will
have already happened long before I can take corrective action

On the rock64, its around 4.5 FPS near full screen, rangeing up to 35 at
its launch it size, on a 1366x768 monitor.

I have other machines running on intel x86 hardware that give me
close enough to real time its not been a problem. So videowise, on the
arms, I could use every bit of help I can get.
.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)