Re: Upcoming Qt switch to OpenGL ES on arm64

On Thursday 22 November 2018 17:33:50 Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
wrote:

> El jueves, 22 de noviembre de 2018 15:37:29 -03 Dmitry Shachnev
escribió:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > The Qt framework can be built either with “desktop” OpenGL, or with
> > OpenGL ES support. At the moment we are building it with OpenGL ES
> > on armel and armhf, and with desktop OpenGL on all other
> > architectures.
>
> Maybe we missed to properly explain the main point of this change:
> currently most arm64 boards are using software rasterization because
> their video cards do not support Desktop OpenGL. If we switch to GLES
> then most amr64 boards will be able to render using their video
> hardware, thus greatly improving speed to the point of being actually
> usable for some stuff.
>
> I imagine (but would *love* hard data) that any PCI video card added
> to an arm64 machine will probably also support GLES, so they will
> still have use.
>
> But one thing is for sure: it's not a decision in which everyone wins,
> so we are trying to make a decision on which *most* of our users wins.

The huge majority of the armhf/arm64 cards being put to work today do not
have a pci slot and never will, yet there are 100 of these tiny sbc's
out here doing real work that will never do it thru a pci or pci-e
connector.

Today, on arm stuff, that interface is SPI, and it runs at speeds up to
50 megabaud on the r-pi-3b. Give us a kernel installer that Just Works
using a kernel we've downloaded the src for and built right on these
teeny boards, and give us a 50 megabaud SPI driver, support the mali
video chips these things come with, and a huge bunch of these little
cards will be off to the races.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)