Minimal armhf debian installation

Hi,

I like to use armhf debian in an arm processor embedded system, but my colleague wants to use openwrt, he is arguing that will use much small RAM and Flash storage. The hardware engineer told us that we can only use 900MB NAND lash storage. The applications in the embedded system is mainly for the communication and sensor data measurement, collection and transfer, it does not need Desktop applications, only for C/ C++ applications for TCP/IP, WiFi, etc. So, can the minimal armhf debian stretch be installed less than 500MB? Where can I download the minimal armhf debian package or should I build it myself?

BTW, will the armhf debian be well maintained by Debian in the future? Openwrt seems a rising star for embedded system, what are merits for using armhf over OpenWRT if I can argue to my colleague?

Thank you.