Installing Debian on Qnap TS-221: experiences, problems and question

Hello Debian arm users:

(Please, CC me, I'm not on the list.)

Sorry for my english, is not my mother language.

I have a Qnap TS-221 and last days I install Debian on it, but I have
some problems. In fact, I need to reinstall three times. I tell you.

I follow the instructions from Martin Michlmayr:

http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/qnap/ts-219/

and download Stretch installer image. No problems with flashing it to
the machine and making a backup of the previous Qnap system.

Stretch installer boots but I have to reboot some times (with disks,
without them...) in order installer take network well and give me ssh
access. Finally I "discover" that, when no boots, you can reboot without
disks, and after, reboot with disk without problems in a 2-3 times
cycle. Some random here, but, ok, move forward.

After booting I note that CPU name changes from:

Processor name  : Feroceon 88F6282 rev 1 (v5l) @ 2 GHz

model name      : Feroceon 88FR131 rev 1 (v5l)

I don't know if there are any wrong or problem there.

Following with installation, installer fails downloading installer
packages. Is not a problem with my connection, or with replica or other,
is a problem with installer. And, when you press in error screen, "ok"
or "cancel", installer crash and you need to reboot the system.

Ok, I think: "move forward to Buster". Reflash the system and reboots.
Same behaviour that Stretch installer booting, sometimes boots well,
sometimes not.

But Buster installer fails in the same way that Stretch installer,
downloading packages with replica and the Buster installer can't
encounter kernel modules.

I can see that I fail with the errors reported before on this list:

BUG: Bad rss-counter state mm:(ptrval) idx:1 val:1

and

external abort on linefetch (0x814)

And I think that installer fails due to it.

If Buster and Stretch fails (I'm not the first on it [0]) I think to
return to Jessie installer. I encounter other problem with Buster
installer, not mtdblock are in the system, so I can't flash the Jessie
installer so I need to boot by TFTD.

Some problems with them too, recovery system on Qnap has some...
aleatory behaviour too, entering recovery mode sometimes yes, other no.

Finally I can install Jessie (why is lost the step to setup machine
hostname?), and next step is to upgrade to Stretch.

Another problem I'd fallen is the RAID partition. I has a RAID
partitions that I want to change, but I can't umount swap existing
partition. I reach solution here:
https://mikebeach.org/2013/10/25/cannot-delete-a-raid-swap-partition-during-ubuntu-installation/

After, and briefly, in the moment I install 4.9 Stretch Kernel, bugs
(rss-counter and linefetch) reapears and causes dbus errors, writing
fails to disk and others segment faults, including freezes the system
installing some applications. In fact, kernel was reinstalling and
freezes, making system unbootable with no other solution that reinstall
(two times in fact, something good to learn to make a backup).

I try too with 4.17 backport kernel, same issuee. Currently I have
booting with a 3.16 Jessie kernel and have a backup to boot with TFTP if
Qnap reboots in 4.17 kernel.

I'm happy to read that there are some progress in order to solve these
bugs [1], but I have a question beetween the debian kernel hackers can
solve it:

How I can select 3.16 as my default kernel?

I look for in Debian documentation and Internet and I don't found
anything about.

Another think is my power led keeps blinking in red and green, I think
that is not normal, but I can't fix it. Is there any way to fix?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the big mail and bad english.

Best regards.

Salud y Revolución.

Lobo.

[0]
https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/21560-OMV-on-QNAP-TS-221-Installation-Does-and-Don-t/?postID=166972#post166972

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2018/07/msg00001.html
--
Libertad es poder elegir en cualquier momento. Ahora yo elijo GNU/Linux,
para no atar mis manos con las cadenas del soft propietario.