Re: ODROID XU4 and UEFI - Re: Cautionary tale: how to kill an SDCard with one simple command

On 25/07/18 21:30, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Wednesday 25 July 2018 16:15:03 Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

There are still ways of working round that sort of problem. For
example, you can copy an entire device using dd to capture boot
segments and partition layout, inspect and recreate the filesystems
using mkfs, then use [something] to copy files one at a time into the
new filesystems taking care that some bootloaders need a wakeup call
when a file moves.

As far as "something" is concerned:

dd: Sector-by-sector copy between devices and files.
tar: Good ol' archiver, with directory-exclude etc. options.
netpipes: Do a tar or dd over the LAN.
rsync: File-by-file copy over LAN.
rdist: Ditto, less well-known but with some good points.

I'll have to look at that. I need dd like copies, but I don't
want /media/slash to be anything but an empty dir in the image it makes.

dd to a file, then use losetup -f -P to make the partitions in that file mountable, mount the appropriate one and delete the stuff you don't want.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk