From: Gene Heskett [mailto:gheskett@shentel.net]
Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2018 10:35 AM
To: debian-arm@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: rock64, date is UTC, how to make EST (s/b UTC-5)

On Sunday 22 July 2018 12:14:00 Alan Corey wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Jul 2018 11:43:38 -0400
>
> Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> > These things don't have a clock, so they use fake-hwclock, so I
> > turned on ntp.conf logging and that looks like its doing well. But
> > since its not pestering the level one servers, just debians, I left
> > that be. The diff is likely measured in micro-seconds.
>
> Actually the Rock64 does have a hardware clock, there's just no
> battery so it's not useful.  In the schematics somewhere it shows how
> to hook a single lithium cell up.
>
> See dmesg | grep rtc
>
> If you were using it portable or off-grid that would be important.
>
> I haven't built a Linux kernel in 10 years or so, used to do it
> routinely in OpenBSD and FreeBSD.  Did it once in Linux because the
> default one at the time wouldn't use more than 2 GB of RAM or
> something.  That was i386.
>
> My locale stuff didn't change until I'd rebooted, now it shows:
>
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> LANGUAGE=
> LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_ALL=
>
> I've tried setting parts manually, never seems to work.

But I have to go to the thing to reboot it, some security knucklehead has
decided it doesn't fully boot until user 1000 is logged in from its own
keyboard. Even then X needing stuff is not available from an ssh login.
That I think might be related to the fact that user 1000 is hard coded into
the install, which IMO is a huge mistake.  I've tried to change that on 2 of
these little credit card things, but thats impossible to do correctly so
everything just works. So I have to put up with the username miss-match, and
goto its own keyboard to run anything that needs X. That sort of stuff is
usually found on the ground behind the male of the bovine specie.  And I'm
getting less and less inclined to stfu about it. Surely this first user can
be created at first boot after writing a new image to the sd card it boots
from?

Can I make an alias on this machine so user pi or user rock64=gene as far as
this X accepting the output of an ssh -Y pi@picnc and/or an ssh -Y
rock64@rock64 for instance?

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett