Re: missing gw in route -n

On Thursday 12 July 2018 08:50:26 Alan Corey wrote:

> Yeah, I wasn't saying anything because I couldn't remember. I think
> Debian puts it there. Try the interfaces man page.
>
> There's also a route command. Maybe iproute too.  Something like
> route add 192.168.43.1 gw
> (or gateway or default instead of gw).
>
> On a command line. There's a routing table, and a way to show what's
> in it and clear it. See the route man page.
>
> DHCP takes care of that so I forgot. I used to have to change my
> laptop over everytime I took it somewhere with DHCP and change it back
> when I got home. But that was OpenBSD too.  And 10 years ago.
>
> Just interfaces should work, that's what I use. It checks both.

Here its not, and because I can't get a gateway assigned, I can't even
update it, it cannot get past my router and out on the net. And I just
discovered that I can't even change eth0's address by
editing /etc/interfaces.d/eth0 and restarting the networking with the
service command.

Thanks Alan. I'm going to go lose another pint of blood, removing and
reinstalling the rusty mower deck on my old john deere, required to
change the decks drive belt. I found out yesterday the book spec for the
belt is at least 5" too long.  So I have to do it all over again today.
I think I'll send john deere an invoice for a pint of blood.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)