Re: Arch qualification for buster: call for DSA, Security, toolchain concerns

Hi Lennart,

debian-ports -> debian-arm

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 5:00 PM Lennart Sorensen
<lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 10:20:50AM +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> >  in addition, arm64 is usually speculative OoO (Cavium ThunderX V1
> > being a notable exception) which means it's vulnerable to spectre and
> > meltdown attacks, whereas 32-bit ARM is exclusively in-order.  if you
> > want to GUARANTEE that you've got spectre-immune hardware you need
> > either any 32-bit system (where even Cortex A7 has virtualisattion) or
> > if 64-bit is absolutely required use Cortex A53.
>
> The Cortex A8, A7 and A5 are in order.  The A9, A15, A17 etc are out of
> order execution.  So any 32 bit arm worth using is pretty much always
> out of order execution.

Are you sure you're not interchanging A8 and A9, cfr. Linux kernel commit
e388b80288aade31 ("ARM: spectre-v2: add Cortex A8 and A15 validation of the
IBE bit")?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds