Re: screenblanker vs login

On Wednesday 14 February 2018 10:42:11 Alan Corey wrote:

> It could partly be the monitor's fault.  According to
> https://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/libXext/dpmslib.pdf "The actual
> effects of this mode are implementation defined, but
> in the case of DPMS compliant hardware, it is implemented by shutting
> off the horizontal sync signal, and pulsing the vertical sync signal."
>  So there aren't special control lines or anything.
>
> This is all programming level stuff I think, not something you can do
> from a command line:
> apropos dpms
> DPMSCapable (3)      - returns the DPMS capability of the X server
> DPMSDisable (3)      - disables DPMS on the specified display
> DPMSEnable (3)       - enables DPMS on the specified display
> DPMSForceLevel (3)   - forces a DPMS capable display into the
> specified power... DPMSGetTimeouts (3)  - retrieves the timeout values
> used by the X server for ... DPMSGetVersion (3)   - returns the
> version of the DPMS extension implemented ... DPMSInfo (3)         -
> returns information about the current DPMS state DPMSQueryExtension
> (3) - queries the X server to determine the availability o...
> DPMSSetTimeouts (3)  - permits applications to set the timeout values
> used by...

All I really know about it is that on the jessie install on the
pi3b "xset dpms force off" will cycle the monitor off, for just long
enough to notice the blink, and its right back on. I don't recall if
I've ever tried that on the stretch install.  And I need to go out and
restart the rock64, it must have gotten too warm doing a make -j3 in a
realtime kernel tree, as ssh is telling me the write pipe failed. Its
possible the garage has become too warm as its 58F out. and one of the
heaters has lost most of its smart temp controls. Percolating along in
low might be too much for today.

And I'm fighting with a knee, the opposite of the known bad one the last
2 days. Might have to go get some h. acid shots in it. So I'm not
exactly running any 100 yard races.  Don't get old folks, the so-called
golden years are actually /not/ fun.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)