Re: is the jessie/stretch aptitude broken?

On Sat, Feb 3, 2018 at 6:09 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> Running an ayufan 5.15 version of a gnu-8 image on a rock64, I am getting
> absolutely nowhere.

Do you mean to say Debian 8 instead of gnu-8?

It seems ayufan probably means one of these links:

https://github.com/ayufan
https://github.com/ayufan-rock64

> system is text only as the X11 stuffs has not yet been installed.
>
> That leaves aptitude as the only menu driven package manager I believe.

There is also dselect but it doesn't have the friendliest of interfaces.

Probably you could also use synaptic via something like texttop :)

https://github.com/tombh/texttop

> Its no secret that I hate aptitude as its torn down to unbootable, 3
> systems for me on selecting something and hitting g to install it.

Usually pressing g gives you a preview, where you can see if there are
any package removals. Only once you press g a second time to confirm
the changes will it do the install.

> But today, on this machine, running as a sudo -i root, I cannot get it to
> mark something and admit its marked when I hit a g.

Hmm.

> What steps do I need to do, to select the xfce task and install all its
> deps?

sudo apt install task-xfce-desktop

--
bye,