Re: arm64 support? When?

On Sunday 14 January 2018 08:50:26 Paul Wise wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 6:41 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I can't find a stretch release for a rock64.
>
> The .dts for pine64 rock64 was added in Linux mainline in version
> 4.14, which is long after stretch, but there were stability fixes for
> rock64 just 10 days ago (limiting the Ethernet to 100Mbit). If the
> Linux kernel in stretch doesn't work with the rock64, you could try
> the version from Debian backports.

Why was that limited? Its a gigabit port now. It is running right now on
an ayufan build of Jessie. And I've a terabyte of spinning rust on its
usb3 port.  I've built several realtime kernels on it so far, but not
tested since the Makefiles don't have a clue how to do an install on a
u-boot'er, and neither do I.

This is a pi killer for machine control, and once its all working I have
a home for a half dozen of them. ATM, spi, which I need, isn't working
at the speeds a broken hardware pi can do, I have one writing 32 bit
packets at 42 megabaud, and reading back the machines responses at 25
megabaud. But the pi has a pinhole path for other data i/o that throws
away keyboard and mouse events at an unacceptable rate. Its spi doesn't
suffer from that, working perfectly, so once the gcode is into its
memory, its works very well. Because of the keyboard/mouse interface
problems, getting it there however, can be a quite a chore.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)