Re: debian installer on arm64

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 11:29:10PM +0100, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:
>Hi,
>
>after getting my Macchiatobin, I naively thought that I only had to copy the
>arm64 installer from [1] or an netinst image to an USB stick and I could
>start with the fun.
>Unfortunately that did not work. So is the whole thing not that easy as
>written on [2] and do I really have to build everything from scratch like
>recommended in the Macchiatobin-wiki?

No, not at all. Unfortunately, the Macchiatobin still ships with
U-Boot installed as the default firmware and it's not all that useful
for installation. The better way to use the machine is to write an
EDK2 (UEFI) image to a uSD card and boot using that. There are some
switch settings documented in the solid-run docs [3] to tell the
machine to boot off uSD instead of the SPI flash.

The EDK2 image I've used is one built by my friend Leif (unixsmurf on
IRC) [4], and it works reasonably well. Using that, the system should
happily boot Debian from a USB stick and it should let you install and
run. Once you've installed, *for now* you'll need to use the rescue
mode option to install grub to the removable media path, as we don't
yet have support for storing UEFI boot variables.

We're not *quite* there for an "everything works" system, but we're
not too far away. There's occasional discussion on #debian-arm, and
I'm hosting a (quiet-ish) mailing list for macchiatobin discussion
[5].

HTH!

[3] https://wiki.solid-run.com/doku.php?id=products:a8040:communityboard:dipswitch
[4] http://eciton.net/~leif/macchiatobin/flash-image-17.10.bin