gfx Rodeo redux

Greetings all;

I asked about this before, but the original post seems to have been a
victim of my expiry rules, so...

I had posted a fuss about synaptic's user interface being a wreck, all in
black and white, and the blacks were transparent, so menu's, rendered in
white text, were overlaid over the white text from the main screen,
difficult to see what the submenu of a pulldown was trying to show me.

Last night, I installed about 30 pieces of glade, to get the glade vcp
composer thats quite like pyvcp but more capable.

But on running the gui editor, I find that it suffers from the same
problem, plus the pulldowns to work it don't.  This I think is a mixture
of gtk-2 and gtk-3 stuff.

To me, that says I am missing a package when using the LXDE environment
that is part of the gtk foundation.  But neither apt nor synaptic, what
I can see of it, is suggesting that I am missing something.

So whats the next step up in desktop's above LXDE that might solve this
problem for a Raspbian Jessie install on an R-Pi 3b?

Cheers, Gene Heskett

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)