Re: Raising the armel port baseline to armv5te

Dear Adrian,

Thanks for your email!

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 9:56 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> Hi Adrian!
>
> On 11/19/2017 11:02 PM, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>>
>> I would be the first to protest against raising the baseline if
>> there were users left, but I am convinced that there are none left.
>

> So, as a compromise, I suggest asking Roger Shimizu for his opinion.
>
> If Roger agrees with your stance, I will withdraw my objections to
> the change.

Yes, I also agreed to raise armel to armv5te [0].

[0] https://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2017/08/msg00058.html

For stable (stretch), armel kernel only supports -marvell flavour [1],
which selects MACH_KIRKWOOD [2], and then CPU_FEROCEON and then
CPU_32v5.

[1] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/kernel/linux.git/tree/debian/config/armel/defines?h=stretch
[2] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/kernel/linux.git/tree/debian/config/armel/config.marvell?h=stretch#n51

For oldstable (jessie), oldoldstable (wheezy), and oldoldoldstable
(squeeze) kernel supports -iop32x, -ixp4xx, -kirkwood, -mv78xx0,
orion5x, and versatile flavours, which are ALL built under CPU_32v5.

For oldoldoldoldstable (lenny), armel kernel supports the real armv4t
flavour, which is called footbridge [3].
[3] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/kernel/linux.git/tree/debian/config/arm/config.footbridge?h=lenny#n69

I don't think buster need to support the hardware only can be booted
by lenny kernel.

Cheers,
--
Roger Shimizu, GMT +9 Tokyo