Re: flash-kernel and dtbs

On 2017-11-28, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 26. November 2017, 16:25:59 schrieb Vagrant Cascadian:

>> > Yes, that should work, but I need to do that later this week.
>>
>> Well, that's where the next troubleshooting steps would be...
>
> u-boot seems to be definitely outdated.
>
> Here is what I get here, findfdt is undefined. IIRC on the SDcard was initially
> Debian jessie which I upgraded to stretch.
>
> CuBox-i U-Boot > ver
>
> U-Boot 2014.10+dfsg1-5 (Apr 07 2015 - 22:16:43)
> gcc (Debian 4.9.2-10) 4.9.2
> GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.25
> CuBox-i U-Boot > run findfdt
> ## Error: "findfdt" not defined
> CuBox-i U-Boot > printenv fdtfile
> ## Error: "fdtfile" not defined

This is the u-boot version from jessie, and didn't support the
hummingboard variants, based both on my memory and now your reported
experience...

>> > The missing u-boot points also in this direction, I installed u-boot-imx
>> > now, but that did not change anything...
>>
>> The packages just ship pre-built binaries, they do not actually install
>> anything.
>
> hmm...when do they get installed?

When the user installs them.  Install u-boot-imx and see
/usr/share/doc/u-boot-imx/README.Debian* for instructions on how to
install u-boot manually.

If you have no memory of installing it explicitly, it was probably
included as part using an old debian-installer image, such as the
netboot SD card images:

  https://deb.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie/main/installer-armhf/current/images/netboot/SD-card-images/

For a newer installer image:

  https://deb.debian.org/debian/dists/stretch/main/installer-armhf/current/images/netboot/SD-card-images/