Re: all translations for Jessie are 403.

On Thursday 09 November 2017 02:33:40 Paul Wise wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 2:22 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/
> > http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/
>
> These aren't Debian mirrors, so you are going to have to ask the
> Raspbian and LinuxCNC folks about the errors.

I saw that when I had pasted in the file contents. Its my understanding
that those are, except for the armhf peculiarities, straight copies of
x86 stuff. The LinuxCNC does not have a full complement of translations
available due to lack of man power fluent in some of the more obscure
languages despite the fact that its become the goto language to update
older machinery to when the proprietary controls die and the maker is no
more.

> > Should there be a diff between apt and synaptic?
>
> I wouldn't have thought so.

Neither would I.

Unfortunately, raspbian only has a forum, no mailing list, and replies
are very hard to get, and usually miss the point of the question asked
so IMO the lack of support is seriously impinging on what can be done
with it.  Same situation with what should be the pi killer, the rock64,
from the pine people which is many times (10x or more) faster than a pi
due to architectural changes and has 4x the memory for a $44 bill. But I
have been unsuccessfull at obtaining the header files for its broadcom
gpio chip from them in order to port the pi's spi driver to it. On the
pi, with a cable about an inch long, I am writing to the interfacing
card at 41 megabaud, and reading the cards responses at 25 megabaud.
And making 1500 lbs of an old Sheldon metal lathe do things it never
imagined it could do when new back in the 1950's.

debian's open attitude is a breath of fresh air and I silently thank them
every day. The other distros all have so much "my way or the highway"
attitude that is off-putting to say the least. debian tries to help, but
understandably hasn't a clue what other distro's do with their stuff.
Full arm64 support being added to debian would be very very nice. But its
a chicken v egg + available, knowledgable manpower thing so it lags
behind the hardware available today. Arm has more variations today than
x86 ever had. It will take a decade to sort the losers into the
wastebasket just like it took a decade + to sort the x86 stuff down to
todays main players.

Thank you very much.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)