Re: odroid hc1 on debian?

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 9:28 PM, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> are people in SBC community actively working on that, or is it just a
> possible option?

No experience with that, but I hear RedHat and ARM are pushing it,
especially for ARMv8.

> DONE: odroid-hc1 is a compute node computer - network, sata, cpu, ram,
> serial console for debugging. No graphics (well, the CPU contains some GPU
> but no wires/connectors, thus supporting it is optional).

You could use the GPU for compute with OpenCL/Vulkan/etc.
Unfortunately, since it is Mali, the reverse engineering projects were
abandoned a while back but revived recently:

http://limadriver.org/
https://github.com/yuq/mesa-lima
https://github.com/yuq/linux-lima

> TODO: I wasn't sure thus even send an email to debian-kernel: is
> linux-firmware repo only for firmware uses by the driver, or do they accept
> firmware for u-boot too? Is one big repo for everything the desired state or
> many small packages? Any blueprint? Any good legal direction to get odroid
> to do the necessary license declaration etc?

linux-firmware is a Linux upstream project, not a Debian one.

I think it is only for firmware loaded by Linux drivers, not sure.

I don't know if there is an equivalent u-boot blobs repo.

In Debian, linux-firmware is split into multiple packages.

fwupd is only for upgrading firmware resident in internal flash in devices.

IIRC the linux-firmware.git repository has legal instructions.

> ah, I didn't know about that one. What does it do, who uses this code?

d-i uses it to know which files to write to where to get a device to
boot Debian.

> DONE: it contains a odroid-xu4 entry, that would work on the hc1 too.

Probably worth adding hc1 too so it can be autodetected.

> TODO: yes, I'd love for those automated build mechanism to create an image
> for the odroid-xu4/hc1. Who maintains this system, where is the code or
> config?

The Debian installer team do, please ask about it on debian-boot or
look at their wiki/other documentation.

> Does that place allow non-free binaries in the image, or do we need to go to
> the cdimage.debian.org infrastructure instead? that one has non-free images:
> https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/images-including-firmware/

Those are larger images that include a package pool, the ones I linked
to do not. Also the ones on cdimage are x86 only.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise