Re: ARM Ports BoF: armel in buster

On 09/02/2017 11:44 PM, W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> Right, most RPi users run Raspbian, but there are also people
> - like me :~) - who prefer to run "pure" Debian, even at the
> cost of a performance penalty (in case of RPi 1 or Zero).
> I imagine, you know (and share) reasons to prefer Debian.

Yes, but a handful of people don't justify introducing a massive
compatibility breakage in the armel port.  I think the current
situation is optimal as is, which is:

 * the toolchain on armel has currently no known issues
 * over 12200 packages are up to date (more than mips*)
 * there are still lots of users of ARMv4T and ARMv5 hardware
 * there are enough crazy people with too much time like Adrian,
   Roger and me who are willing to fix stuff
 * I am upstreaming as many OpenJDK patches as possible and OpenJDK
   Zero is being improved upstream to keep Matthias happy
 * there is enough beer in the fridge

So, currently all is good with armel and we can go back to
discussing how we can make it even better :).

Good night,

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz