Re: this mornings update bricked my pi.

You update way too often and it's a crap shoot.  You can possibly fix
that SD by replacing the kernel or bootloader, something like that now
that you have a way to get into it.  I have an old amd64 laptop with a
Debian I hadn't updated since last summer.  Dug it out, compiled
cpuminer on it and cpu mined Litecoin for a week or so.  Then my used
asic miner came from China so I compiled a cgminer and now that's
hooked up over USB.  Maybe I did an update, and something I fetched
replaced one of its dependencies, other than that it's still the way
it was last summer, working fine.  Getting rich, no, maybe tonight
I'll make it to 0.1 Litecoin worth about $15.  But I got the bug I
guess, ordered a small Bitcoin mining asic.  There's a whole crazy
culture of miners out there and you have to spend days RTFMing.
Except if you don't plan to invest thousands in off the shelf
equipment all the answers are buried in the forums at
https://bitcointalk.org/

I blew up an i386 Debian once by upgrading.  Something replaced a
kernel and I can change it back except that doesn't find its modules
or some such.  So that partition on that machine sits dormant.  I
wasn't sticking to stable though.

fat32 should be readable by Linux, I just had to install exfat (AKA
NTFS) to read my camera's SD card.  fat32 is what Android uses for SD
cards.  Fdisk, gfdisk, parted, gparted should all show the partitions.
480 gigs would be almost half a terabyte, you're seeing 1/1000 of
that.  gparted is good, I've got some live CDs with it.  You think
you're in a mess now... heh heh

Oh, fat32 has a limitation of 32 gigs, at least that's all Microsoft
supports.  You're probably only seeing 1 partition, but maybe that's
all there is too.  I had a fat32 partition over 32 gigs once and some
stupid Microsoft program deleted it because it didn't like it.

On 5/2/17, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 May 2017 09:29:35 Alan Corey wrote:
>
>> Hmm, only 1 Pi and 1 SD card?  Got a reader for the SD card you can
>> use to fsck the card in another Linux box?  Heck, you should be able
>> to mount it and do stuff to it.  Might be able to find a reader at a
>> photo place.
>>
> No, I have more, but that one was the only one that was uptodate.  I've
> just now acquired another pair of 32G PNY's.  I have the failed one in a
> reader right now, and it looks fine. I even wrote the src build
> directory for tar-1.29 to it without a fuss, but haven't tried
> editing /boot/config.txt to see if that fat file system will let me.
>
> In the meantime I've unpacked a img.gz that was on the now unbootable
> card, and will write it to one of the PNY's with dd shortly.  If that
> works, I'll hack up the networking (I use host files here), fix the ssh
> keys, and then see if it will update/upgrade.  So I am making progress
> slowly, in between the honeydo's from the missus who fell back in
> February and now has a steel right hip she is still getting used to.  So
> progress is slow.  While in town I got a usb drive, says its a terabyte
> but its formatted fat32 so it only shows 480 megs, but its there. I may
> see if the OTP can make it boot from that drive. I have another pi if it
> doesn't work...
>
> Thanks Alan.
>
>> On 5/2/17, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
>> > It flashes the green led 3 or 4 times in the first second of
>> > powerup, and dead, so I assume the sd card is now trashed.
>> >
>> > This was rasbian, running a special pre-empt-rt kernel.
>> >
>> > Where can I find some help?
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>> > --
>> > "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>> >  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
>> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
>> > Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>
>

> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? - AB1JX
Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach