Installing Debian on a Zealz GK802/imx6 dongle?

Dear people,

Some years ago I bought a Zealz GK802 dongle (which, if I understand
correctly from what I read on the web [0], is an imx6-based
system---but I am not sure) which came with an 8GB microsd card
running Android 4.0.

My primary intention with it would be to serve me as a device to run
Kodi, but, as soon as it was doing *anything*, it overheated and
locked hard.

I left it there gathering dust, despite it being potentially able to,
while not serving as my primary intention, act as something else, like
downloading some torrents or building some packages, given that it is
much more powerful than my KuroBox Pro with (which is an armel device
with only 128MB of RAM---of course, the IO abilities of the two
devices are mightly different).

Anyway, revisiting this device, I am interested in getting any more
modern operating system on it and, of course, Debian is my first
choice. Does anybody here have any experience with this kind of system
or something similar? If yes, how have things evolved in the last 4
years? Is it too painful to install Debian on it? If nobody has any
experience with it, I am interested in investing some effort into
getting it working, so that I can make some use of this piece of
hardware that I have here.

I can provide some details with respect to the hardware and document
my experiences and the installation process somewhere for reference of
others (kind of what Martin did with some systems on his personal
page) with the ultimate goal of getting it working well with Linux.

Thanks for any help,

Rogério.

[0]: http://projectgus.com/2013/05/debian-installer-for-zealz-gk802-android-tv-quad-core-arm-minipc/

--