Testing boot loaders

I wonder whether I could ask a general question, with a particular focus on Debian ARM devices.

I've got in front of me a file containing the image of an SD-Card that I've exfiltrated from a Kobo ereader onto which somebody wants me to put Debian. It appears to have a common or garden partition table at the start, live and recovery filesystems, and then a large storage area:

Device     Boot   Start     End Sectors  Size Id Type
kobo.bin1         49152  573440  524289  256M 83 Linux
kobo.bin2        573441 1097729  524289  256M 83 Linux
kobo.bin3       1097730 7744511 6646782  3.2G  b W95 FAT32

I believe that there's a configured copy of U-Boot and the kernel in the unpartitioned area at the start of the device, there isn't any jump code in the partition table.

The device is based on the "Freescale MX50 Reference Design Platform", and kernel sources etc. are available on Github, I think I can see that the boot loader's entry is at 0xF8006458.

Is it possible to use Qemu or some comparable emulator to check the boot sequence in situ, i.e. without breaking the U-Boot and kernel images out into separate files?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk