Re: Porting Debian arm(hf) to Turris Omnia (open-hardware router)

Hi Axel!

On Sunday, September 25, 2016 12:33:19 AM CEST, Axel Beckert wrote:
Hi,

Lennart Sorensen wrote on Mon, 16 Nov 2015 12:42:58 -0500:
On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 10:05:49AM +0100, Ondřej Surý wrote:
Turris Omnia uses Marvell Armada 385.

Well with that CPU, Debian armhf user space will work fine with no changes.
You would need to get kernel support included upstream before Debian is
likely to include it in their kernel.  Hopefully marvell is working on
that already.  Given I see armada 385 and 388 dts files in the upstream
kernel, clearly some work is happening there.

Anyone knows what's the state about Debian on Turris Omnia?
https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Router is very scarce on
that topic.

I'm currently thinking about buying one or two of them and running
Debian on them would be a very interesting option.

I have created a Debian image for development purposes. You basically need custom kernel (https://github.com/tmshlvck/omnia-linux), swconfig and one extra script for SFP management. That's it.

Here is a Debian image creator script https://github.com/tmshlvck/omnia-debian and here I have a simple installation howto: https://github.com/tmshlvck/omnia-debian/wiki

I would be glad if someone can take it and do it in the proper Debian way... We work on upstreaming our patches in kernel, but it is certainly going to take some time.

Cheers,
Tomas