Debian on Qnap TS-109

Hello all,

I am a bit new to Debian, and when I laid my hands on an older Qnap TS-109, I decided to install it to overcome Qnap's firmware limitations. I followed the guide put up by Martin Michlmayr, but currently face three issues:
  1. I can't log in through SSH using root user. It denies me access even when I use the password set during setup. I can log in using the standard user, and perform "su" to get to root. How come root can't log in directly?
  2. More annoyingly, it beeps every two minutes for unknown reasons.
  3. The "status" LED is flashing red. LAN LED is off, although the NAS does receive a valid IP address on the LAN.
I shut down the NAS, disconnected network cable, then turned it back on using the button, and connected the network cable.

What can be happening?
Pat