Re: Gigabyte MP30-AR1

On 2016-09-12 19:41 +0100, Phil Endecott wrote:
> The Ubuntu mini.iso installer from here:
>
>   http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/dists/yakkety/main/installer-arm64/current/images/netboot/
>
> also works, with a 4.4.0 kernel:
> ACPI is disabled:
>
> [    0.083487] ACPI: Interpreter disabled.
>
> It must be using the device tree and surviving whatever bugs it has.

Interesting. Phil, could I persuade you to file a bug against
debian-installer with the info and logs you have collected (or just
the mails in this thread). It just helps avoid this issue getting lost.

> If this seems to work I may keep this kernel and try to convert the base
> filesystem from Ubuntu to Debian; that should be easy, right??!

It's do-able, but you may have to fight apt/dpkg quite hard, and it
can be quite hard to tell when you've actually expunged al the
ubuntuness :-)

Check /etc/debian-version /etc/os-release and /etc/dpkg/origins/debian
all have debian info rather than ubuntu info them get debian versions
of all the packages dpkg -l reports, then apt install --reinstall them
all (or use dpkg -i to ram them in). I have done this before (on
arm64) and it worked. You may need some --force-* to get it to play.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/