Re: Gigabyte MP30-AR1

On 09/09/2016 18:29, Phil Endecott wrote:
Dear Experts,

I've splashed out and bought myself a Gigabyte MP30-AR1.  This is
a "server" board with an Applied Micro X-Gene processor.

There are various reports of people installing distributions including
Debian on the previous MP30-AR0.  The difference between the -AR0 and
the -AR1 is that mine ships with UEFI, while the earlier board shipped
with U-Boot.  I think that apart from that the boards are identical.

So far my attempts at installing Debian have not been successful.
I have, however, managed to install CentOS!  So there is hope.  In
each case I've put an ISO image onto a flash drive; UEFI has detected
this and presented it in its boot menu.  Then GRUB runs successfully,
but it seems to fail to start the installer's kernel; with the current
strech/sid installer mini.iso (http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/sid/main/installer-arm64/current/images/netboot/mini.iso) I get:

EFI stub: Booting Linux Kernel...
ConvertPages: Incompatible memory types
EFI stub: EFI_RNG_PROTOCOL unavailable, no randomness supplied
EFI stub: Using DTB from configuration table
EFI stub: Exiting boot services and installing virtual address map...
OSBootEvent = Success
L3c Cache: 8MB
You have checked the vga output haven't you? This board uses vga port primarily (by default) in my experience.

Mike.

--
Mike Howard
Lancashire