Re: Broadcom BCM2709, ARMv8, and missing CPU features

On Sat, Aug 06, 2016 at 04:25:13PM +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>  did i hear right that there's also a core design difference between
> the A7 and the A53 which results in a performance/watt loss of around
> 15%?  so you're actually *worse off* going to 64-bit at the moment, if
> power (battery life) really matters.  i think it was on anandtech or
> something.

Well the 64 bit equivalant of the A7 would be the A35.  The A53 is higher
level, more like an A9 I would think while the A57 is A15 type of
performance level and A72 probably maps to about A17, or maybe even
better.

Certainly in terms of MIPS/MHz, the A53 is between the A8 and A9, while
the A57 is A15/A17 level, and the A72 is quite a bit faster than the rest.
Apparently there is an A73 coming that adds another 30% performance over
the A72.

The A35 is supposed to be 6 to 40% better performance than the A7 at
the same power.

--
Len Sorensen