Re: Re: Debian Jessie on QNAP TS-112P - Reboot instead of shutdown

Hello Helge,

On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 08:25:37AM +0200, Helge Wiemann wrote:
> Sorry for my late reply, but I stopped watching this thread and relied on
> the mailing system to send me a notification (which never came). I learned
> from Martin yesterday there has been a fix and he kindly forwarded your
> solution to me.
>
> This is what made my problems disappear entirely:
>
> apt install i2c-tools
> echo 0-0030 > /sys/bus/i2c/devices/0-0030/driver/unbind
> i2cget -y 0 0x30 0x80

I'm glad I could help, but still I wonder about your case.
You wrote: "Although the shutdown issue disappeared after reinstalling
the entire system my NAS would still occasionally boot and immediately
shutdown for no obvious reason. A second boot would bring the system up
as expected, but it was annoying nonetheless."

I have no explanation for this behavior. What do you mean saying
"immediatly shutdown"? Is this like a power off, or a clean reboot like
"init 6"? And I don't see what a reboot would change for the rtc chip
that I would expect only be able to wake up the machine but not shut it
down. Do you have a boot log? Can you reproduce the problem, e.g. by
setting the alarm:

	echo +150 > /sys/bus/i2c/devices/0-0030/rtc/rtc*/wakealarm

and then wait 3 minutes.

If yes, goes the problem away after:

	for i in +150 0 +150 0; do
		echo $i > /sys/bus/i2c/devices/0-0030/rtc/rtc*/wakealarm
	done

instead of the i2cget command?

On a side note I also don't understand why reinstalling the NAS changes
anything. Does the installer access the rtc other than setting the time?

Best regards
Uwe