Re: Rebuilding xl2tpd

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Wed, Jun 08, 2016 at 07:45:07PM +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
I've been trying to rebuild xl2tpd 1.3.6 (rationale etc. below) on a
Raspberry Pi before moving to the next version since its changelog suggests
that it fixes a problem we're experiencing. Whether I use pukka Debian
Jessie as described at
http://sjoerd.luon.net/posts/2015/02/debian-jessie-on-rpi2/ or the current
Raspbian Lite, the stripped binaries come out about 1K smaller than expected
and crash the system as soon as there's network traffic.
..

Did you get that backwards?  For a raspberry pi, you need the v6 code.
Normal Debian armhf uses v7 with thumb-2 and would only work on a
raspberry pi 2 or better, not the original.

Red herring alert :-) The Debian is only good for an RPi2 or later, if I look at something on it that I know runs and that I've not changed:

/bin$ ls -l bash
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 679084 Nov 12  2014 bash
/bin$ readelf -a bash |grep Tag_
  Tag_CPU_name: "7-A"
  Tag_CPU_arch: v7
..

Or on recent Raspbian Lite:

/bin$ ls -l bash
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 863400 Oct 18  2014 bash
/bin$ readelf -a bash |grep Tag_
  Tag_CPU_name: "6"
  Tag_CPU_arch: v6
..

The Debian with xl2tpd on it is actually an RPi3. I've tried compiling on several systems but my latest attempt was on a fresh Raspbian Lite on an RPi2 in case there was something odd about the compiler/libraries on other systems.

However in all cases I see about the same thing: make completes without error but the newly compiled binaries are a bit smaller than expected, and the system crashes as soon as the daemon starts handling traffic.

I'm still at the stage of assuming that I'm making some silly mistake due to inexperience on this combination of distro and platform.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk