Re: Cubox-i 4x4 RAM

On 05/01/16 10:57, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
On 2016-04-30, Rick Thomas wrote:
I finally got some time to test the experimental u-boot:
      u-boot-imx_2016.05~rc2+dfsg0~20160423~1-1_armhf.deb

It installs and boots and recognizes 3.8GB RAM on the 4x4.  So I guess I
got a real 4x4 after all!
Yeah, figured that might be the case.

I also have a cubox-i4pro (the 2GB variety).  You suggested that this
would probably not work there.  Would you like me to test it for you?
If that would speed up getting this patch into production, I'm willing
to give it a try!
I tested an older version of the patch on a cubox-i4pro, but if you're
willing to confirm that it also fails on yours, that's more info.

The patch is a one-liner to change from one hard-coded ram configuration
to another. I'm fairly confident that it needs actualy run-time
detection to support both models, as the various models have some
incompatible ram configuration.

In addition to run-time ram detection, solid-run's vendor u-boot branch
also has numerous ram timings that should be updated in mainline u-boot,
but actually getting working patches so far has been beyond me.

I installed it on my i4pro, it booted and ran Linux for a few minutes. It didn't crash, but it claimed I had 3.8GB RAM (both u-boot and Linux thought so). I suspected I _would_ get a crash if I ran it for long enough for it to try actually using the phantom part, and I didn't feel like dealing with the corrupted file systems that would probably result, so I went back to the original u-boot as soon as I
could.

If you like, I'll try to install a test system on a spare USB-stick with the new u-boot. No harm if that
crashes, I guess.

Enjoy!
Rick