how to build a kernel package of flavor 'armmp'

Dear all,

I've been trying to build a kernel (4.8.7) for my MK802 which is
currently running 4.8.0-1 (really nice and easy install - thankyou!
used pcduino as base; may try to use the mk802 dtb in the future.).

Please be gentle because I've been at this for about a week straight,
and Google offers so little about debian armmp....

I wanted to build the kernel because I failed to build a runnable
kernel module (modified cp210x) for the existing kernel; always
complained of missing symbols, even though i could see nothing obvious
wrong in the (on device) build environment.

So, I'm cross-compiling using the original .config.
Host - 'Linux jessie 3.16.0-4-amd64' in virtualbox, cross compiler
arm-linux-gnueabihf
One thing I found was that if I run
'make oldconfig',
I got a million new options unrelated to arm.
But running
'make ARCH=arm oldconfig'
came clean, Is this correct?

so i proceeded to build with
'make -j 4 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- deb-pkg'

Half a day later, this succeeded, and produced a nice shiney set of
.deb files, marked as armhf.

However, when using
'dpkg -i linux-image-4.8.7_4.8.7-1_armhf.deb'
to install the kernel, the device complains:

"Kernel /boot/vmlinuz-4.8.7 does not match any of the expected flavors
(armmp), therefore not writing it to flash"

I am pretty sure that the kernel and modules are correct for my
architecture, but that I've just missed something to stamp the kernel
correctly with 'armmp'.

I'd really like to have the security of knowing I can do a complete
kernel/module build; then if there is anything I can contribute in
terms of my hardware, I could do so.

So, question:
What do i need to change to have the kernel marked as armmp?
Is it possible to do this and then make the kernel with
'make -j 4 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- bindeb-pkg'
so that I don't have another full 8 hour compile?
Am i starting in the wrong place; as it seems some places highlight
use different commands to build debian kernel packages?

best regards,

Simon

p.s. I did do a kernel compile on the device; after 4 days it
completed, but i had not packaged it.  So I ran make deb-pkg, and it
cleaned my build - bahh!!!