Routers with multiple "dirty" interfaces

My apologies for asking something here which is not strictly an ARM question, but I thought I'd run it past the local experts before raising my head in somewhere like LKML.

I'm tinkering with some systems (mostly RPis with pukka "Jessie") for routing work, which have multiple "dirty" bearer interfaces with a tunnel to an ISP on top expected to use the route with the numerically-lowest metric.

Potentially, the bearers come up and go down in an arbitrary sequence, with each event triggering a small number of iptables commands. When the first interface- whichever it is- comes up various table policies and global rules will be established, and when the last interface goes down the tables will be flushed to their default state. That raises two questions:

a) Am I correct in believing that Debian's handling of /etc/network/interfaces is single-threaded (non-reentrant)?

b) Is it safe to use /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward (and the various rp_filter and log_martians states) as counters?

So far (b) appears to work, but I'm interested to know whether this is by design or by luck.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk