Re: Debian and QEMU virtio-net-device

On Wed, 2016-11-09 at 08:18 -0500, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> Again, I appreciate any insight you can provide.

Looks like you are using the armel vexpress kernel, which AFAICT
includes PCI based virtio support, unlike most other ARM configurations
which include the MMIO (discovered via DTB or ACPI) variant. (Other
platforms like x86 use the PCI based stuff though, so I'd expect it to
work)

I think that might mean you need virtio-net-pci instead of virtio-net-
device in your command line, but I'm not 100% sure. (The x86 example on
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Virtio seems to suggest this too).

One other approach would be to ditch the vexpress kernel and initrd and
instead use the armhf/armmp kernel and "-M virt" instead of "-M
vexpress" and then virtio-net-device would be the correct thing to use.

In fact unless you have a good concrete reason to use armel and
vexpress then that (armhf/armp) would be what I would most recommend.
You could still run an armel userspace if you have that requirement,
but if not then I'd recommend using armhf userspace too.

BTW your use of vexpress also answers Lennart's question wrt device
tree, since that platform is not DTB based.

Lastly please note https://lists.debian.org/<1478646546.1727.22.camel@d
ecadent.org.uk> i.e. there will likely be no armel/vexpress kernel in
Stretch (so if you have a hard requirement for it then now would be a
good time to speak, ideally on that other thread).

Ian.