Re: Cubox-i 4x4 RAM [was Re: Performance of armhf boards]

On Jun 5, 2016, at 1:35 PM, Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> wrote:

> On 2016-06-05, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
>> I have the same problem with my Cubox-i 4x4. Is there any progress on
>> this?
>
> Not the I'm aware of.
>
> Currently, the one-liner I patch just hard-codes a different ram
> configuration. In my experience it breaks booting on the cubox-i4pro.
>

>> The version of u-boot mentioned above is no longer available.
>
> Must have removed it in order to test other features; sorry.
>

>> Are the patches incorporated into the latest version in experimental?
>
> No, it requires a patch that does run-time detection. At least the
> versions of u-boot in debian currently boot on both cubox-i4x4 and
> cubox-i4pro, even if it limits ram to 2gb on the i4x4.
>

>> Is there anything I could test to get this into Debian?
>
> Someone could write a patch acceptible for u-boot upstream that does
> run-time detection... there may be folks on #u-boot on irc.freenode.net
> willing to help a bit.
>
> It also might be good to file a bug report against the u-boot-imx
> package in Debian at this point, so that the issue can at least be
> tracked appropriately.
>

> live well,
>  vagrant

Sorry to bring this back up after such a long time, but I had a couple of thoughts that I’d like to bounce off those more knowledgable than I.

Would it be possible to do one or the other of these two:

1) Put the 2GB vs 4GB setting in the .dtb file.

2) Put setting in a kernel command line argument.

Wondering…
Rick