Re: Thinking about a "jessie and a half" release

On Tue, Sep 06, 2016 at 11:27:49PM -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>> There's something I've been pondering for a while, along with some
>> other folks - it might be useful to do a "jessie and a half" release,
>> similarly to what we did in the etch days. That's *basically* just
>> like a normal jessie release, but with a few key updates:
>>
>>  * backports kernel
>>  * rebuilt d-i to match that kernel
>>  * X drivers
>>  * ... (other things that might be needed for consistency)
>>
>> all rolled up with a small installer image build (netinst, maybe DVD#1).
>>
>> A lot of arm64 machine users would benefit from this, and maybe owners
>> of very recent amd64 machines too, with better support for things on
>> the Skylake platform. Those are the only two architectures I'm
>> thinking of supporting at this point.
>>
>> Is anybody else interested in helping? Thoughts/comments?
>
>Sorry to bump an old thread....
>
>Please consider moving to Clang 3.8 or 4.0 as the LLVM front end for
>the platform.
>
>Clang 3.5 and 3.6 are no longer maintained. The bugs we are
>discovering and reporting are being closed as "invalid" and "won't
>fix" because Clang is outside its freshness date.
>
>Also pick up this for glibc:
>http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17775390/clang-3-3-in-c1y-mode-cannot-parse-cstdio-header/17776548#17776548
>. Though it was first seen in Clang 3.3, its still a problem today.

ACK, thanks for thinking about this still.

Progress to date has been quiet, but work is ongoing. KiBi has a good
set of patches ready for d-i already, and I'm working on debian-cd to
add useful backports support. My first quick-hack attempt failed
dismally, so I'm midway down a more disruptive but thorough set of
changes now.

Once that's working, I'll ask on -devel again for package lists.

"I used to be the first kid on the block wanting a cranial implant,
 now I want to be the first with a cranial firewall. " -- Charlie Stross