Re: arm64 pointer tagging, VA-bits, the end of the world...

Hi,

On 08/17/2016 09:51 AM, Koen Kooi wrote:

Op 17 aug. 2016, om 16:39 heeft Leif Lindholm <leif.lindholm@linaro.org> het volgende geschreven:

Hi all,

(Sent to cross-distro with debian-arm on cc.)

We have an 'interesting' situation ahead of us, or indeed some of us
have already fallen into it:

(trimming)

The applications we know are affected are luajit and mozjs (libv8 is
not a problem). But this has a follow-on cost: both of these are used
by other packages. Other jit/runtime packages could have their own
issues.

The mozjs bug is fixed on trunk, and will hopefully make it into
release 49[2], but it remains to be seen if that's too late for some
distributions.

Since mozjs is “special” when it comes to API, you have to depend on a specific version of it, so policykit hard-depends on mozjs17, which has no fixes available for the VA problem :( I’ve seen reports of systems unable to boot because of the systemd->polkit->mozjs chain. Is anyone working on fixing that?

Special, might be an understatement.

But for polkit, I've posted patches pulling it forward to mozjs24 (needs testing!)

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/polkit-devel/2016-August/000487.html

With mozjs24 the mainline fix applies fairly cleanly without breaking the ABI.