Re: Thinking about a "jessie and a half" release

Philipp Kern <pkern@debian.org> (2016-07-10):
> On 2016-07-04 18:08, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> >>How would we keep that working given that backports keeps changing?
> >Backports changing isn't an issue AFAICT if we're only publishing a
> >netinst image which has all the kernel bits (kernel udebs), as opposed
> >to netboot.
> >
> >Or are you thinking of other issues?
>
> that was the main issue. Apart from the updates part below.

OK.

> >>Would we copy the kernel at the time into a special suite?
> >
> >I don't think that's needed.
> >
> >>How would updates work?
> >
> >Updates to?
> > - d-i: nothing has to change (except if we want to republish a new
> >   image with an ever newer kernel version), see above.
>
> Where to would we upload d-i?

jessie-backports.

> Under what name?

Not sure I understand the question. If that's for an “jessie+1/2”
alternative, I have no proposals right now.

> With what content?

For src:debian-installer? fork from master, remove everything not
fitting backports (package renames etc.), is probably a better idea
than trying to backport (mostly) kernel config changes. Later such
versions (if needed) can then be prepared by git merging further
from master.

> Would we re-spin stable d-i plus backports-related changes into
> backports?

Based on the above reply, no.

> Would backports ftp-masters be ok with that?

Based on the above reply, that's just the usual “copy most of it,
leave changes that don't make sense for stable aside” policy, so I
would expect they would be. But right, I didn't ask yet.

The installer-$arch/ thing shouldn't have any consequences since it
isn't used yet AFAICT; we might need to iron out some bugs though.

> I feel somewhat uncomfortable with one-offs that are not being
> updated anymore and cannot even be updated if need be because the
> kernel will have disappeared by them (as it tracks testing rather
> than its own version line).

I don't see why we wouldn't be able to update that. Just git merge
from master (and pick whatever newer kernel version it depends on),
and adjust as I mentioned, done.

Note: I don't think it's reasonable to require someone to commit to
doing regular updates for this one-off. But anyway, the “cannot”
part seems bogus to me, as I've just explained.

> > - installed system: as usual for systems with backported packages
> >   (NotAutomatic & ButAutomaticUpgrades).
>
> So which metapackages would we need to install to keep track of
> new major kernel versions in backports?

Hm? linux-image-$arch from src:linux-latest, as usual?

KiBi.