Re: Thinking about a "jessie and a half" release

On Tue, 2016-07-05 at 08:25 +0100, Rebecca N. Palmer wrote:
> Would it be possible/reasonable (at least for stretch) to have the
> installer detect this and ask "your hardware appears to be too new for
> this release, would you like to enable -backports?"

It might be, but it's going to be hard to tell what's 'too new'.  We
could check whether there are drivers that match the device IDs for the
detected PCI and USB devices.  However, we know that device IDs are
sometimes added to a driver before the driver has stable support for
those devices.  That question might also be giving false hope, in that
the devices not supported in stable might still be unsupported in
stable-backports.

> On 04/07/16 23:38, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > As I understand it, xserver-xorg-video-modesetting should be used
> > instead of xserver-xorg-video-intel, for chips supported by the i915
> > kernel driver.  So the latter should be changed to limit the device IDs
> > it claims, then both of them should be backported.
>
> This appears to be causing at least one actual problem:
[...]

Once this is fixed in unstable and then testing, I wonder how to fix
this for jessie-backports.  The modesetting driver is now part of
xserver-xorg-core and that has had a driver ABI bump which would
require backporting other driver packages.

Ben.

--

Ben Hutchings
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.