Re: Rebuilding xl2tpd

Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
I've been trying to rebuild xl2tpd 1.3.6 (rationale etc. below) on a Raspberry Pi before moving to the next version since its changelog suggests that it fixes a problem we're experiencing. Whether I use pukka Debian Jessie as described at http://sjoerd.luon.net/posts/2015/02/debian-jessie-on-rpi2/ or the current Raspbian Lite, the stripped binaries come out about 1K smaller than expected and crash the system as soon as there's network traffic.

I'm a comparative beginner at building stuff on Debian, although I've been doing it for rather a long time on lesser distreaux. Are there any obvious gotchas that I need to be aware of, or anything Pi-specific that might need to be added to the makefile?

Background info: Our ISP (Andrews & Arnold in the UK) provides a service where customers may connect using PPP-over-L2TP via e.g. 4G, which allows mailservers etc. to remain routable even if a copper/fibre line goes down. Using xl2tpd 1.3.6 I'm finding that the daemon freezes when the connection is broken, the changelog for 1.3.7 suggests that this is a fixed problem. There's also https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=760602 which might be relevant.

The cause of the crash appears to be that the xl2tpd binary must not assume kernel support. I've managed to build a 1.3.7 which I'm currently testing, but don't pretend to understand what I'm doing.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk