Re: affordable arm boards with plenty of ram.

On 2016-05-19, peter green wrote:
> I'm looking for an arm board/box to add to my collection of buildboxes.
>
> Critera (in roughly descending order of importance):
>
> Reasonablly affordable (upper limit ~£200)
> As much ram as possible.
> Plenty of CPU power would be nice.
> A good storage interface (in order of preference SATA is better than
> USB3 which is better than USB2).
> Support in Debian kernels would be nice.
> arm64 support would be nice.

The LeMaker Cello looks promising, but isn't shipping yet. It is a
little out of the price range you're talking about (US$299 + cost of ram
and other accessories). It has dual sata, installable ram, and mainline
support seems plausible (other similar boards have pretty full
support, from what I can see).

> Currently looking at the cubox i4x4. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Some brief comparisons follow of the best perfoming boards used in the
reproducible builds network. Most only have 2GB of ram, none are arm64
capable, all are running armhf, most are supported to some degree by
debian kernel and u-boot.  Builds is average number of package builds
per day (multiple entries for multiple boards). Prices may vary
presently, but most were purchased within the last year.

It seems like the best performance vs. price comparison is with the
Odroid-XU4, if you can bear only 2GB of RAM and a noisy fan.

Cubox-i4x4:
  price: ~US$180
  kernel: 3.16.x in jessie
  cpu: quad-core cortex-a9 (freescale imx6)
  ram: 3.8GB
  disk: eSATA
  u-boot: vendor or patched u-boot to use 3.8GB of ram.
  builds: 180, 187

Cubox-i4pro:
  price: ~US$150?
  kernel: 3.16.x in jessie
  u-boot: 2014.10 in jessie
  cpu: quad-core cortex-a9 (freescale imx6)
  ram: 2gb
  disk: eSATA
  builds: 166

Firefly-4GB:
  price: ~US$260
  kernel: 4.6.x in experimental (4.4.x worked fine, but 4.5.x broke
    ethernet).
  cpu: quad-core cortex-a12?/a17? (Rockchip rk3288)
  ram: 4GB
  disk: USB2
  u-boot: patched u-boot 2016.01 to recognize 4GB of ram
  builds: 182

Firefly-2GB:
  price: ~US$160
  kernel: 4.6.x in experimental (4.4 worked fine, but 4.5 broke
    ethernet).
  cpu: quad-core cortex-a12?/a17? (Rockchip rk3288)
  ram: 2GB
  disk: USB2
  u-boot: 2016.03 in stretch (2016.05 currently does not load boot
    kernel successfully)
  builds: 165, 158

Odroid-XU4:
  price: ~US$80-90
  kernel: 4.5.x in jessie-backports
  cpu: octa-core 4 x cortex-a15, 4 x cortex-a7 (Exynos 5422)
  ram: 2gb
  u-boot: 2016.05 in experimental
  disk: USB3
  builds: 201, 181, 168
  notes: noisy fan

BeagleBoard-X15:
  price: not yet available, estimated ~US$239
  kernel: 4.6.x, currently needs custom kernel with compiled-in sata
  cpu: dual-core cortex-a15 (TI AM57xx)
  ram: 2gb
  disk: eSATA
  u-boot: 2016.03 in stretch
  builds: 179
  notes: noisy fan

Wandboard quad:
  price: ~US$160
  kernel: 3.16.x in jessie
  u-boot: 2014.10 in jessie
  cpu: quad-core cortex-a9 (freescale imx6)
  ram: 2gb
  disk: SATA
  builds: 188

Orange pi plus 2: