Re: Cannot boot jessie kernel on qemu armhf VM

On Fri, 2016-01-29 at 09:07 +0100, Christoph Pleger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I created a qemu armhf virtual machine, with machine type vexpress-a9 and
> CPU cortex-a9. I first attempted to install the VM by using the jessie
> debian-installer, but the VM did not boot. As is was not sure if I had the
> correct files vmlinuz and initrd for jessie, I tried wheezy instead, and
> that worked. After wheezy installation was completed, I upgraded to
> jessie, installed vmlinuz-3.16.0-4-armmp kernel, halted the VM, copied
> /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-4-armmp and /boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-4-armmp from the
> VM to the real machine and, in my qemu GUI aqemu, changed the entries for
> direct kernel boot accordingly. But again, the VM does not boot with
> jessie kernel - the qemu window opens, but then, nothing happens any more.
> With the wheezy kernel, the VM still boots fine.
>
> Any suggesting how to make the jessie kernel work on my VM?

I've never used a QEMU VM, just real hardware, so don't know the boot
process for QEMU works. But for real hardware, on more recent kernels,
you need to pass the kernel a device-tree (dtb) file for the hardware
you're booting and that is passed to the kernel at boot, along with any
ramdisk (if that's needed). So, perhaps that's what you're missing?

Googling 'qemu vexpress dtb' leads me to
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Dev/QemuARMVexpress
and that shows a dtb file being passed (in the example it's for the
a15-tc1 'hardware' not a9.

--
Tixy