Re: Updating kernel for Debian Jessie on iMX53 QuickStart

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 08:41:52PM -0800, Mike Thompson wrote:
> I've got Debian Jessie armhf running on an iMX53 following the instructions
> here:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Freescale/QuickStart
>
> It runs fine.  However, a major issue I have is that when the kernel is
> updated with "apt-get upgrade", the VFAT partition that holds the uImage,
> uIntrd and board.dtb files for uBoot are not updated to reflect the newer
> kernel and initrd files placed in the /boot directory.
>
> After quite a bit of digging, if figured out I can correct this manually by
> issuing the following mkimage commands:
>
> mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 /mnt
> cd /mnt
> mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 0x70008000 -e 0x70008000 -n
> "3.16.0-4-armmp" -d ../boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-4-armmp ./uImage
> mkimage -A arm -O linux -T ramdisk -C none -a 0x72000000 -e 0x72000000 -n
> uInitrd -d ../boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-4-armmp ./uInitrd
> cp ../usr/lib/linux-image-3.16.0-4-armmp/imx53-qsb.dtb board.dtb
> umount /mnt
>
> However it is unsatisfactory that a kernel update via "apt-get upgrade"
> doesn't do this automatically update the uboot versions of the kernel and
> initrd files for me.
>
> Is this expected behavior when the kernel package gets updated?  I'm
> worried that sometime I'll miss that the kernel was updated and create a
> system that fails to boot because of a mismatch between the kernel and all
> the .ko files that could result.

Do you have the flash-kernel package installed?  That is the job it
serves.

The database contains this:

Machine: Freescale i.MX53 Quick Start Board
Machine: Freescale MX53 LOCO Board
Kernel-Flavors: armmp mx5
DTB-Id: imx53-qsb.dtb
DTB-Append-From: 3.12
Boot-DTB-Path: /boot/dtb
U-Boot-Kernel-Address: 0x70008000
U-Boot-Initrd-Address: 0x0
Boot-Kernel-Path: /boot/uImage
Boot-Initrd-Path: /boot/uInitrd
Required-Packages: u-boot-tools
Bootloader-Sets-Incorrect-Root: no

So looks like that should work if installed.

--
Len Sorensen