Re: Kirkwood installation on QNAP TS-420U

> On 26 Jun 2015, at 16:27, Nagel, Peter (IFP) <peter.nagel@kit.edu> wrote:
>

> Am 26.06.2015 um 15:57 schrieb JM:
>> On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 3:19 PM, Peter Nagel <peter.nagel@kit.edu <mailto:peter.nagel@kit.edu>> wrote:
>>
>>    Hi everybody,
>>
>>    I'm trying to install Jessy on a QNAP TS-420U using GPT and RAID1:
>>
>>    RAID1 device #0 - 20.0 GB Software RAID device
>>    >     #1     20.0 GB    f  ext4               /
>>    SCSI1 (0.0.0) (sda) - 4.0 TB ATA WDC WD40EFRX-68W
>>    >             1.0 MB       FREE SPACE
>>    >     #1      1.0 MB    f  biosgrub
>>    >     #2     20.0 GB    K  raid
>>
>>    >     #3    500.0 MB    F  swap
>>    >            4.0 TB FREE SPACE
>>    SCSI2 (0.0.0) (sdb) - 4.0 TB ATA WDC WD40EFRX-68W
>>    >             1.0 MB       FREE SPACE
>>    >     #1      1.0 MB    f  biosgrub
>>    >     #2     20.0 GB    K  raid
>>    >     #3    500.0 MB    F  swap
>>    >            4.0 TB FREE SPACE
>>
>>    My first problem was that the installation was hanging during
>>    'Configuring flash memory to boot the system'.
>>
>>    However, I was able to restart the installer and ... I decided to
>>    first try the same installation without RAID1.
>>    The good news is that the installer was running through without
>>    any problems - the bad news is that after restart I am not able to
>>    login anymore:
>>
>>    > ping xxx.xxx.69.241
>>    PING xxx.xxx.69.241 (xxx.xxx.69.241) 56(84) bytes of data.
>>    64 bytes from xxx.xxx.69.241: icmp_req=1 ttl=64 time=0.135 ms
>>
>>    > ssh root@xxx.xxx.69.241 <mailto:root@xxx.xxx.69.241>
>>    root@xxx.xxx.69.241 <mailto:root@xxx.xxx.69.241>'s password:
>>    Permission denied, please try again.
>>
>>    I was trying to reset the QNAP to get back the default QNAP
>>    factory settings but that didn't help.
>>    Any suggestions how to start from scratch?
>>
>>    Many Thanks in advance,
>>    Peter
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just a hunch, but can you still log-in as install/installer? Perhaps the kernel/initrd didn't get flashed and you somehow ended up in debian-installer again?
>>
>> Other than that I'd recommend hooking up a serial console. It can save a lot of time troubleshooting if that's a viable option for you.
>>
>> Best of luck!
>> Jan
>
> I've also tried to login as installer (for DHCP and known fixed IP-Adresses) without success.
>
> Meanwhile, I was thinking about to take out the harddisk and modify the sshd_config file in a way that ssh does not check for the password ... but I'm not sure if this would work at all.
> Any comments  to this ...?
>
> Cheers Peter

Hi Peter,

As a last resort, Martin has this [1] guide on his site, but I'd suggest taking out the disk and chrooting into it from a Debian armel QEMU install. There might be a way to install telnet from there, or maybe the logs are concise enough to fix your ssh woes straight away.

Since the network stack seems to come up, i don't think your filesystem(s) got corrupted. But if your time is limited, you might be better off hooking up a serial console or using [1]. If you can get at the logs you might be able to file a bug report of course...

Prost

Jan

[1] http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/qnap/ts-41x/recovery/