Re: Brief report: QNAP TS-212P with linux-image-kirkwood 4.0.0-2

Yes, I managed to catch it in the act:

http://pastebin.com/PYqqrcLX

Basically, the device stalls during the flashing process (which takes maybe three minutes), and that seems to cause sata to time out, and eventually everything gets remounted read-only.  Now if I recall correctly, I'd get sata link timeouts with 3.16 as well, but it behaved more gracefully (reset a couple of times and was back in business after the flashing was done).

Best regards,
Jan

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 11:56 AM, Ian Campbell <ijc@debian.org> wrote:
On Fri, 2015-05-29 at 14:14 +0200, JM wrote:

> * I am experiencing system instability following flash-kernel on kernel update:
>
> rm: cannot remove ‘/tmp/flash-kernel.VuR9vASl’: Read-only file system
> run-parts: /etc/initramfs/post-update.d//flash-kernel exited with return code 1
> dpkg: error: unable to create new file '/var/lib/dpkg/status-new': Read-only file system
>

> At this point any commands end with segmentation faults and input/output errors. The flashing process seems to complete correctly though.

This is a bit worrying. The device with /tmp and /var/lib/dpkg on is
presumably not on the flash itself (that's too small), so the fact they
go r/o at some point here is quite strange.

Are there any incriminating messages in dmesg?

Ian.