Re: Debian Wheezy or Jessie install on Cubox-i4pro?

On Sat, 2015-04-04 at 14:14 +0200, Karsten Merker wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 04, 2015 at 01:59:33AM -0700, Rick Thomas wrote:
> > >Btw, since today there is also another installation option that
> > >involves only an SD card:
> > >
> > >cd /tmp
> > >wget http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/armhf/daily/netboot/SD-card-images/firmware.MX6_Cubox-i.img.gz
> > >wget http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/armhf/daily/netboot/SD-card-images/partition.img.gz
> > >zcat firmware.MX6_Cubox-i.img.gz partition.img.gz > /dev/sdZ
> > >sync
>
> > I followed the above procedure.  When it came time to reboot, I
> > saved a transcript of the output.  Unfortunately, it wasn't
> > successful...
>
> [CCing Vagrant as he IIRC has a Cubox-i and Ian in his capacity
>  as flash-kernel maintainer]
>
> Hello,
>
> just to make sure I understand you correctly: the installer
> itself worked without problems, but the installed system doesn't
> come up?  If yes, then this might be due to a problem with the
> console device setting.  The installer uses a different
> bootscript than the final system:
>
> - installer:
>   https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/d-i/debian-installer.git/tree/build/boot/arm/bootscr.mainline_common
>   (which explicitly passes a console parameter)
>
> - flash-kernel / final system:
>   https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/d-i/flash-kernel.git/tree/bootscript/bootscr.cubox-i
>   (which in contrast to e.g. the sunxi bootscript does not
>   explicitly pass console)

d-i will only propagate things from the initial command line which
follow a "---" marker. Since bootscr.mainline_common doesn't include a
"---" in the command line the console= added there won't be propagated.

Perhaps we should add a "---"? Perhaps not in the test -n ${console},
but maybe before it?

OTOH I'm not sure if that would make things harder for people who want
to do things with bootargs before calling bootscr.mainline_common, such
as inserting preseeding stuff of their own.

Ian.